Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Court date to answer my tenants Summary Process was effective 6/30/2015, court gives 3 day

Customer Question

Court date to answer my tenants Summary Process was effective 6/30/2015, court gives 3 days for the tenant to answer excluding weekend and holidays. Tenant responded on 7/7/2015. The court allowed the tenant to proceed even though the 3 days expired. I was understanding that the 3 days is law and she looses if no response on time. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
"We spoke to the clerk and she stated we prematurely filed the response, which is inaccurate."
If the tenant is the defendant, then why are YOU filing the response? Or are you the defendant and if so, for what?
Also, did the tenant file something known as an Appearance?