Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

My husband and I have lived in this apartment years.

Customer Question

My husband and I have lived in this apartment for eight years. He suffered a massive stroke a while back. We have always been model tenants. Today, I was told that our lease may not be renewed because they consider me to be a liability. This is due to the fact that I made serious accusations against one of the maintenance employees. It would be a extreme hardship for us to move. My husband is in a wheelchair. We are close to Publix and the pharmacy. Can they do this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer that I will provide will likely not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Any lease, unless it has an automatic re-sign provision or language stating that only the tenant has the right to terminate can indeed be terminated by 'either' party at the end of the lease term. Now, your lease cannot be terminated due to 'retaliation' against you over past claims, but if they are afraid of liability, they can indeed refuse to re-sign. However if you believe that this is based on your past accusations, if they refuse to sign you can file in courts yourself, allege that this is a 'retaliatory eviction' and ask that the judge dismiss their actions, and likewise potentially reward you punitive damages. So you would have recourse should they begin to refuse to sign this agreement again. Sincerely, ***** *****