Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We have apartment lease we want to break and it is unliveable

Customer Question

we have apartment lease we want to break and it is unliveable conditions. apartment has flooded in kitchen 4 times. The hallway of the apartment building we live in flooded as well. Also there is rule for certain breed dogs not allowed and neighbor has breed which is not suppose to live here. It barks all day and night. The heat pipes clang and bang all night. Now we see roaches from all this flooding or they have already here. We have pictures and documentation to submit end of month and we are not going to pay the fee to break this lease. What can I do to protect myself legally. They should never of rented this unit. The maintenance men said this unit has always had these problems and two neighbors are also annoyed about the dog barking all the time and shared this with us. Then last the neighbor also reported the happway flooding and that his apartment flooded once. Please advice.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. What, if anything, have you done to inform the landlord of the issues with the unit, and your desire to break the lease?