Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

This is concerning our HOA. My husband and I have decided

Customer Question

This is concerning our HOA. My husband and I have decided to take over the care of our home lawn (we were unhappy with the service provided by our lawn people). We have been trying to maintain the beds and cut the grass. There are some area where the grassed has dried up.
In May, the President of our HOA, told the company that sprays out beds and treats our lawn, to give us an estimate on replacing parts of our lawn since we could be facing fines if not done so. They told the company (which did inform me ashamedly)instead of me, I was home, and they were steps from my front door.
Then the company, which the HOA hired to write up violations and violators, also mentioned the dry spots of our lawn. They also told us to remove s yellow pole that is on the side lawn of our property. (A pole that , if they had bothered to inspect, points out the gas line that runs underneath our home.
Today, I received in our mailbox, a copy of what looks like a receipt, detailing the removal of grass debris and the cost of the number of palettes of sod necessary to replace the dried up spots.
While I am aware this is an HOA, and I have little to no rights, I am upset I. The manner that this issue is being treated.
I would have been more explain to them how we are aware of the issue and what steps were planning to take to fix the problem.
I am upset in the manner this was handled and that I might be issued fines/lien on my home before I can even take care of or address the problem.
What can I do? Where do I stand legally?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I need to ask a few questions before I comment..
.
Do the Bylaws give the HOA the authority to fine members if their yards are not kept up?
.
Are there specific standards that have been identified as to what constitutes a violation? (i.e. dead grass is a violation, but not necessarily dying grass)
.
Have you been issued anything by the HOA as a notice of violation or a fine?
.
.
thanks