Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have a contract that was suppose to close today. After doing

Customer Question

I have a contract that was suppose to close today. After doing a re-inspection of the property on yesterday, there were items the seller was suppose to fix but did not fix them. The seller is refusing to sign an amended contract to fix the items and to schedule closing in 5 days. He really wants me to back out of the contract but I want him to hold up his end of the bargain and close on the house. What recourse do I have?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Just to be clear, you have a signed written contract where the seller has agreed to perform these fixes, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but is now refusing to sign an amended contract and extend the closing date.
What would the amended contract say? Are you able (if not necessarily happy) to close on the date given?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The amended contract will ask that he fix the remaining items and agree to close in 5 days.
But your current contract already says that he agrees that he will fix these items, correct? And again, Are you able (if not necessarily happy) to close on the date given?\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and available to close in 5 days.
Do you know, approximately, how much the value of these fixes would be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't have a written estimate.
Do you have a rough ballpark estimate? That is, are we talking $1,000 or $10,000 or $50,000?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe $2,000.
And the purchase value of the property? Is the seller going to be remaining in Texas, or do you know where his forwarding address will be?
Are you still there?