Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

Small Business occupies a commercial space by paying cash to

Customer Question

Small Business occupies a commercial space by paying cash to landlord monthly. There is no lease. The business operates only because the rent is paid for by room mates that occupy various rooms. The business owner collects money each month and gives it to the landlord, cash. This has happened for many years. So the question I have is what is the legal relationship between the owner/collector and room mates (they all live on site), landlord, and what the worst case scenario is.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post and thank you most kindly for requesting me to assist you with your concerns. Hi, it appears that the parties are engaged in an oral lease. Arguably the business owner is the sub-landlord and the roommates are sub-tenants, especially if the landlord only deals with the business owner. Nobody has inherent rights so if the landlord gives 30 days notice to leave the premises, all must vacate. Sincerely, ***** *****