Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live in Arizona, I bailed out a friends property 2 days before he lost it. We were

Customer Question

Hello I live in Arizona, I bailed out a friends property 2 days before he lost it. We were to sell house and splitt the profit. Then there was an issue about putting it in his name. So a year goes by and squatters wouldn't leave. Then I finally got it into his name but before that he hid the fact he had a guy move in and in exchange to fix the house for rent come to find out the guy made him sign a contract for $1 a month for 48 months. $48.00 to fix the place for 4 years. Is it a binding Contract if it wasn't in his name yet? Around 4 months later I got it put into his name. But now he signed it over to me as sole owner. How do I get this guy to leave my house. He said he fixed it and he tore out the kitchen and bathroom and was replacing it with stuff he bought. What a mess!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to serve the person a 3 day notice to leave for non-payment of rent. Then if he fails to leave within the 3 days, you would have to file a suit for eviction/unlawful detainer in the local court and serve the person with a copy of the suit and a summons to appear in court. The court will hold a hearing where you present evidence you are the legal owner of the house and the person is not paying rent and as such you want them evicted and the court will order them to leave in 5 days or be forcibly removed from the property.