Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

WHAT CAN I DO IF WHILE I AM PAYING RENT TO SHARE SOMEONE'S

Customer Question

WHAT CAN I DO IF WHILE I AM PAYING RENT TO SHARE SOMEONE'S HOME, HE WANTS ME OUT AND PUTS MY BELONGINGS ON THE STREET. LARRY
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If he tries to physically evict you or assaults you, you can call the police and they can arrest him for assault or disorderly conduct.
.
If he does so while you are gone, then you again can call the police and they will tell him that he has to allow you to return to the home unless he has a legal eviction order that has been executed by the sheriff.
.
In order to legally force you to leave, he would have to give you a 15 day notice to terminate your tenancy and then pursue a formal eviction in court to get an order from the judge to have the sheriff force you to move.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That information was very helpful. Did it pertain to Florida laws. What if he puts my belongings on the street or into storage while I am gone. LARRY
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is entirely based on FL law. It wouldn't help customers very much if the experts here were giving them information based on another state. That is why the customer is asked what state they are in initially so we can apply the appropriate law to their situation.
.
The 15 day notice requirement is under Fla. Stat. Ann. § 83.57.
.
If he were to remove your belongings while you were gone without a legal eviction order, then that is considered an unlawful eviction and it would give you grounds to sue him in small claims court where the max is $5,000. Judges tend to be very harsh on landlords who employ these "self help" eviction methods and can award high punitive damages to penalize the landlord and set an example to deter future similar behavior.
.
.
thanks