Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I rented my house to a new tenant. my realtor said I should

Customer Question

I rented my house to a new tenant. my realtor said I should take 1 months rent and 2 months security. my question is, do I have to return the 2 months security when they leave? I'm a little confused about this.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Yes, the security deposit can only be used for actual damages to the property, cleaning, and any delinquent rent (if that applies) at the end of the tenancy. If there are no damages or other costs and the tenant is not delinquent on any rent, then you would have to refund the entire deposit at the end of the tenancy.
.
As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...
.
.
thanks