Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Can I have a rental contract that is based on a day-to-day

Customer Question

Can I have a rental contract that is based on a day-to-day rental like the hotels? I created such a rental agreement with a tenant. She refused to pay the first month rent so when her money ran out, the door locks were changed, just as we agreed to. However, when we went to court the judge refused to read our agreement and awarded her $5,000.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
If the tenant defaults on rent, the landlord has to file for eviction and have the Court confirm an eviction. Once this happens, if the tenant still does not relocate, then the landlord has to get a WRIT and have the authorities relocate her. Self-help by simply locking the tenant out is NOT ALLOWED. If this is what you did, this is why the Judge ruled in her favor.
But going back to your original question. While UNCOMMON, it is not unlawful to have a day to day tenancy. Yes. However, it may be best to have it IN WRITING that this is what is agreed upon, or otherwise a tenant may try to claim that this was a month to month tenancy.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.