Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I want to purchase a property and caldwell county Texas from

Customer Question

I want to purchase a property and caldwell county Texas from the sheriff's tax sale struck off list. I've been downtown to do the title search it looks all clear. I have tried to purchase title insurance but the current title companies will not provide it for a tax sale. Nor will they do the title search for me for a tax sale. the property has been abandoned for at least 20 years. I have found the lady's name who the title is registered under. I've looked everywhere to try and find her including retirement homes & obituaries. I have not found her. since the title looks all clear I want to purchase the property from the tax office but here's my question: how do I find out if there are any liens on the property or against the property that may not show up yet and how would I protect myself against them? leans like Medicaid Medicare retirement home?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
A title company may balk at issuing title insurance for a tax sale, but they should be willing to examine the chain of title and issue a report of items of record on the property.
Have they refused just to do a search without issuing a policy?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. they have refused to do a title search. there are two title companies in town both said they do not work on tax foreclosure properties. however I do have some experience in title searches myself. this one seems clean with no standing liens. no probate and no suits. I'm just not confident enough to know that I have everything covered. I don't want to find out a year from now that she's been in a nursing home and the home and Medicaid have her property as collateral
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If the property has been abandoned for 20 yrs it is unlikely there are any enforceable leins which were not extinguished by the tax sale.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you are not seeing anything in your examination of the chain of title then it is unlikely there is anything there.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Especially on a property abandoned for so long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if she is in a hospice care somewhere right now and has paid for the care with the promise of donating the property. this wouldn't be filled yet and recorded our would it? what if I by the property and 6 months from now they come forward? where do I look to see if That's possible?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
A tax sale would take priority.