Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

In Louisiana, can I stop access to a utility line, natural

Customer Question

In Louisiana, can I stop access to a utility line, natural gas, that is on my property. This is a small line, not a gas line that belongs to a gas company, to a personal dweeling?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Is there an easement on your deed, that is the first thing you have to check. Also, how long has the line been there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No easment, we have one for the large natural gas line, but not for the small line that is in question. This line crosses our property to give the neighbors access to natural gas. The house was my inlaws, but they died & the home was sold. Everything was family before the sale. The people in the home don`t even know where the gas comes from.The line has been there about 20 years.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the chances are that they will have a predial servitude. A predial servitude, similar to an easement, is a burden on the servient estate for the benefit of the dominant estate. The existence of a predial servitude is dependent upon the presence of a dominant estate and a servient estate which belong to different owners. This would be an affirmative predial servitude which would gives the owner of the dominant estate (the other home) the right to use the servient estate for a particular purpose, such as for services such as water, electric, gas.