Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a shed that I built over 14 years ago my neighbor has

Customer Question

I have a shed that I built over 14 years ago my neighbor has lived next to me for about 12 years he has surveyed his property about 1 month ago and says my shed is on his property now since my shed was built long before he moved there and I have maintained that property for at least 14 years do I have to move my shed
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Under Indiana Code 32-21-7-1 et seq.; 34-11-1-2, you have held the property for a long enough period of time (10 years is the minimum requirement) to claim ownership by adverse possession IF you have paid property taxes on the area in question.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
You may have to check with the tax office to determine whether or not you have been paying taxes on this portion of earth......if so, then you have the right to claim adverse possession as to the land in question. If you haven't been paying taxes, you may want to consider having your own survey done to see if your shed is on the neighbor's property. If so, you'll have to either move the shed or try to buy the area from the neighbor.