Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We are being evicted and have alled the landlord to explain

Customer Question

We are being evicted and have alled the landlord to explain but he just sends text messages saying he wants us out. Recently he was told of a broken pipe which was leaking onto the top of the refridgerator and about a beoken sink. No help there. Called again and he said if we get it fixed he'll garnish whatever amount we paid from our rent. After being told its 795 that we paid sent us a eviction notice. Our rent is 1700. He doesnt answer of calls. Plus lots of mice/rats in the house bedrooms and kitchen. We moved in and he had his two dogs living in the house. We cleaned up and tried to maintain this place. When asked about things here he ignores us. This will be the 3rd time he has tried to evict us. Seems like if we pay he helps. Being evicted on the 12 of this month. What should i do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help in any way that I can. I am so sorry to hear that you have been forced to live under those conditions, nobody should live in any property that is infested with mice and rats. I cannot believe that the landlord has the audacity to charge you $1,700 a month rent for the property you described. Please give me the following information, if you do not mind, 1. The property you are renting is in Alaska, correct ? 2. When did your 12-month lease-term begin ? 3. Who besides you signed the lease ? 4. When did you first notice the mice and the rats ? 5. Have you been served with any notice by the Court or the landlord ? If so, what papers were you served with and by whom ? (the Court ?) Thank you and I look forward toyour reply, ANDREA