Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My mom died when I was 16 and I have brothers...mom and

Customer Question

Hi..my mom died when I was 16 and I have brothers...mom and dad had purchased some property (land)...my dad sold it without asking us...after all these years. can we get back our share before the guy dies off and it'll go to his family?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In what state? How was the property titled, was it joint tenants with right of survivorship?
Was there any will?
Chances are after all these years you will not get it back, you may be lucky to get money out of your dad and will have to sue him to do so if he violated the law and improperly sold the land, so you need to be willing to do that.