Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

So I live in a condo in Chicago Illinois and our condi

Customer Question

Hello, So I live in a condo in Chicago Illinois and our condi declaration was written in 1972. The rules have allways been that no leasing of condos was allowed in this building but two families for elected into all the board offices and began to lease. I suspect they they may have changed out by-laws just so that they could do that, but because of this all of the condos in te building appraise for less and noone is very happy about it. The owners took a vote on whether they wanted to allow leasing about 4 years ago but it didnt pass at all, but the following year people began to lease anyways. Please help I don't want to take a hit because someone isnt doing what theyre supposed to.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. If the condo association rules state that the properties cannot be leased, and owners are doing it anyway, the first step would be to ask the board to stop all leases as being violative of the association rules. If the association board will not stop the leases, then you would have to file suit against the association for specific performance and require it to terminate all of the leases and conform with the rules.