Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Would the following situation fall under the definition of

Customer Question

Would the following situation fall under the definition of Housing Discrimination?
I recently had a conversation with a distraught friend who resides in "active senior living" apartment complex that receives federal funding via voucher programs.
Throughout the year, management arranges various holiday and other celebrations for its residence. However, despite the number of African-American residents, management continuously fails to acknowledge, honor nor celebrate MLK Day or Black History Month.
This issue has been a sore spot for many African-American residents who view the elaborate celebratory decorations, food and dancing for such holidays as Cinco De Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, Forth of July and Christmas, to name a few.
There are weekly history classes held every Wednesday in their clubhouse without any effort to hold classes in February related to Black History Month. The office celebrates MLK Day as a day off so they clubhouse area is closed on this most significant day for members of the African-American community.
Many of the residents feel slighted and are reluctant to partake in the activities held in the clubhouse, especially the heritage celebrations. They question how management can accept their federally-issued voucher, honor it as a paid holiday (unconfirmed) for staff yet no visible recognition of MLK Day nor the entire 28/29 days of Black History Month.
As seniors, these concerns are discussed quietly, behind closed doors for fear of losing their federally-assistant housing.
As seniors, they have witnessed and personally suffered through much racism and discrimination for decades and have learned to suffer in silence.
Do they not have the right to honor the strides they've also witnessed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Has anyone ever requested that the mentioned holidays be acknowledged by management?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Loren,Thanks so much for your prompt response! Before continuing, I have 2 questions re: TOS:
"With the pay-per-question model, you select the price that you are willing to pay for the Site Access Benefits
related to a single question."
Question #1: I viewed only one price, I believe it was $47. Providing payment for such valuable information is not an issue, however, $47 is a bit too steep as I'm on a fixed income. Is it possible obtain a more fair and reasonable fee?"To help protect your privacy, use an anonymous user name and do not include information
regarding your identity or contact information in your Posts."
Question #2: How do I make post anonymous post since I've already included personal information (i.e. name, email address) in the initial question?In response to your question: No, there has not been a request of acknowledgement which I have also suggested. Management holds a monthly meeting for residents grievances and concerns. Frankly, they have no desire to risk their housing.Thank you for your time!
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up.You would need to contact customer care for your questions regarding TOS. However, your name and email are not showing on this screen.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
As far as discrimination, yes, this could be the basis for a discrimination claim. But, in order to proceed someone will need to request a comparable observance and have that request refused. If no resident is willing to step up then no legal claim is possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. What is the amount billed for this session?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Also, if they do complain they are protected legally from retaliatory eviction.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you are kind enough to rate me favorably it is $42.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I desire to provide a favorable rating but the most I can etch out of my monthly budget is a total of $30. Honestly, the additional $12 will provide fresh fruits and veggies until the 10th of this month when I receive my food stipend. Is this an acceptable amount for you?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
As I said, you need to contact customer care. I just answer legal questions as a JA user. I am not a JA employee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you and have a safe holiday!
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You too.