Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

My roommate is trying to scared me about the retaliation

Customer Question

My roommate is trying to scared me about the retaliation base on the letter I Send them for eviction for 3weeks only...from 6/ 11 to6/30...they didn't move out on the 30th of June...because of that..the letter is not even notarize just sign by them..give
me a copy...so they are still here and paid the rent for July...I'm planning to give the 30days notice now today which is the third of July ...can I do that ..without worrying retaliation about that eviction I gave them for three weeks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
What state are you located in?
What was the basis for them to argue that you are retaliating by trying to evict them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California....they trying to say that I served wrong notice about only three weeks eviction instead of 30days...the letter is not even legal and not even notarize and also this people has no legal paper that they rent from me ..It's just a verbal no papers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the only one I kind of worry about...It's not soon to give them another notice ..today for 30days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help me..I feel threatened...they like to argue with me...all the time...they are trying to scared me
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Since you have a verbal contract it appears that you are on a month to month lease. So, yes, you can send them another 30 days notice to vacate. The letter does not have to be notarized and since they were not harmed in anyway from the 3 weeks notice you originally gave, there is nothing to worry about. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1940-1954.1 look at section 1946 at the link above as it provides that you only have to give them 30 days notice. http://media.wix.com/ugd/40d8cb_79edde42c22265344262ad3df0da8178.pdf You can use the form at the link above. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off. If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK". Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You Make me feel good on your answer yes they were not harm because they are still her and willing to pay rent for this month...you are the best 5star for you mister maverick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Best
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Can you please make sure to formally select the five star rating option as JA answer will not know otherwise to pay me. Thank you.