Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My landlord presented an updated Month to Month rental agreement

Customer Question

My landlord presented an updated Month to Month rental agreement for my review a signature, but it was back dated for August 2014. I believe this is her tactic to increase my rent starting August 2015. Is this a legal action for my landlord to back date a document?
In addition, she has presented a letter addressing an increase in rent for 2 years prior. Is this allowed? It appears she is just saying I forgot to increase the rent the years prior so I am now plus the current year.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
""Is this a legal action for my landlord to back date a document?""
.
.
No, not if it is for some fraudulent purpose. If it was to re-create a document that reflects the true and accurate terms of the old tenancy, then it is not improper.
.
But you would not be under any obligation to sign it...
.
.
""In addition, she has presented a letter addressing an increase in rent for 2 years prior. Is this allowed?""
.
.
Actually no, if this is a rent controlled area and the landlord didn't impose the increase allowable by law, then they waive that right to do so for that year. If the RSO permitted a 3% rent increase in 2013 and another 3% increase in 2014, a landlord who did not raise the rent in 2013 may only raise the rent in 2014 by 3%. He may not retroactively collect the increase permitted in 2013 for a cumulative rent increase of 6% in 2014.
.
So it is a "use it or lose it" provision.
.
Further, the ordinance makes it unlawful for any landlord to demand, accept or retain more than the maximum adjusted rent permitted under the Los Angeles Rent Control law.
.
.
thanks