Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We put up a privacy fence between our existing chain link fence

Customer Question

we put up a privacy fence between our existing chain link fence . the privacy fence is now failing. someone has removed our existing chain link fence in the last 3 mths as i tried to pet the renters puppy thru the privacy fence and the chain link fence prevented this. my son cuts our grass and noticed that the chain link fence was missing . he has not been able to cut the grass for over a month as our back yard is flooded and my husband will not let him remove the lawnmower from our shed which is also under water. when we had the last bad storm in toledo the renter told us our fence was failing . the privacy fence and when i looked and told him where is my chain link fence he ran and will not now speak to us. what our options and do we actually have to catch them in the act or i have taken pictures where they cut the poles off that supported the chain link fence and they are not rusted as if the fence had been removed a long time ago. it has been in the last 2 ot 3 months
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the renter removed your fence, since you did not remove it, the neighbor tenant or landlord had to do so, then you need to start by sending a letter to the landlord informing him that either he or his tenant damaged your property and removed your fence and as such they are liable for replacing your fence. Inform them if they fail or refuse to do so within 30 days, you will have no choice but to take legal action for the cost of repair. If the landlord refuses, then you are going to have to file suit in civil court against BOTH the landlord and tenant of the neighboring property and seek the damages from them.