Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have been contacted by the utility company and was advised

Customer Question

I have been contacted by the utility company and was advised by letter that a utility pole on my property will be use to grant electric services to my neighbor.
I have a ten foot utility easement insisde my property line, but the utility pole is not in the easement and it is clearly shown on my property survey.
Are they allowed to acesss the utility pole on my property, which is clearly outside of the easement on my survey to grant my neighbor electric service?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How long as that utility pole been there? I am asking because even though it may not be on the utility easement directly, the time it has been in place could have created an easement by prescription if the pole belongs to the utility company.