Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My previous landord refunded my deposit without attaching all

Customer Question

my previous landord refunded my deposit without attaching all invoices and reciepts.
she deducted 250 for the wear and tear of a counch that the previous tentant left behind and charged me 100 for a used runner that was also left behind by the last tenant. she has no proof that she purchased these items and is making me pay for them. she has in couch in her possesion but the runner was thrown out by me due to its non fuctioning condition.what are her obligations and does she have the right to do this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The landlord can claim the damages and you have the right to dispute it. If you do not want to go to mediation or if mediation did not work, you can sue the landlord in small claims court, which is informal and inexpensive, as long as the total amount sued for is $7,500 or less. You can sue for the security deposit plus twice the amount of the security deposit in damages if you believe the landlord has acted in bad faith when he or she did not return your deposit.