Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If you agree to sell your house verbally and you change your

Customer Question

if you agree to sell your house verbally and you change your mind what is the seller's responsibility to the buyer who signed a contract. The seller did not sign a contract.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
The seller has no legal responsibility whatsoever to the buyer if they didn't sign a written contract to sell. This is under a legal doctrine called the "Statute of Frauds" which states that any agreement to sell real estate has to be in writing to be enforceable.
.
So if seller doesn't sign, then there is no legally binding contract and they can simply refuse to do so.
.
.
thanks