Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

We live in Austin, TX. Next to our home is a multi-acre lot

Customer Question

We live in Austin, TX. Next to our home is a multi-acre lot that is going to become a development with several houses. The developer has not yet gotten his site plan approved by the city. We are wanting to buy a portion of the land directly adjacent to our property, to act as a buffer between our home and the homes that will be built there. The developer is willing to work with us, but we don't really know how to approach the transaction. I assume we will have to get our property "re-platted" to add the new property to our current property. When would this happen-- before or after purchase? Should the developer re-draw his site plan to include the property we are trying to purchase as a separate lot, and then worry about the re-platting later? Would the city approve something like this? What is the normal process?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.The developer would need to amend their subdivision to define the parcel you would be purchasing. It is not particularly difficult. A surveyor prepares the subdivision amendment and it is filed with the county.This would be done in conjunction with the sale contract between you and the developer. You would not close until the amendment was accepted by the county and recorded.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?