Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

We took over neighbors mortage(still in their name) and was

Customer Question

we took over neighbors mortage(still in their name) and was paying off the total balance. found out there is 3 liens /judgements on the home. Is it possiable to get the place In our name? I was told we may be able to a quick deed.we have paid over 20,000 on place and don't want to loose it.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for allowing me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to answer your legal questions. If there are judgment liens, then they will need to be paid off in order to remove them. If the neighbor were to give you a quit claim deed, then your interest in the property would be subject to the judgment liens, which means the lienholder could foreclose at any time. A change in ownership doesn't change that. Moreover, if you were to try to sell the property, then you'd need to pay off the liens in order to give marketable title to the purchaser. You may wish to consider trying to settle with the lienholder for an amount less than what is fully owed. If the lienholder agrees, then you could get the liens released for less. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need any clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback.
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/real-estate-law/968e0-took-neighbors-mortage-still-name.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Another expert here and I will try to assist with your question. You can obtain title to the property with a Quitclaim Deed from your neighbor. The judgment liens will remain with the property until they expire as liens. This will require more explanation which I will be happy to provide once you have rated this answer positively.