Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm in Tx. I need to know how to determine if I am still in

Customer Question

I'm in Tx. I need to know how to determine if I am still in my option period on a home. Contract dated 6/18 and receipted on 6/19 by title company. I have a 10 day option. Does it expire at midnight tonight?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - thanks for requesting me. Usually, the option period would end at midnight on the 10th day from the signing......which means the period would have ended yesterday. But, you'd have to look at the contract and see if it says 10 days from the signing or 10 days after the signing day.....that'll tell you what you need to know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 4 conditions that must be in place for the effective to be defined. Is the last one about notification ..that it must be done. We were notified the next day..the 19th.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The terms of the contract govern, so if the 10 days don't begin until the notification occurs, then it would be 10 days from that day......which means you'd have until tomorrow.
So, the contract governs and is the absolute authority......so a literal reading of the terms will tell you what you need to know.
But, it sounds like you've got until tomorrow.