Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

A neighbor came onto my property without permission

Customer Question

A neighbor came onto my property without permission and took pictures. She's looking to find things to report to our landlord to get me in trouble as I complained about her cats pooping in my garden, and she's upset. What are my legal rights to keep her off of my property? I live in Cochise County, AZ.
Thank you!
Laura
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Technically, she is trespassing. First, this can be a criminal matter. Although the police are unlikely to charge her unless she had criminal intent, they may give her a talk, which should in itself scare her from doing this again. They may even indeed charge her - it depends on the authorities.
Civilly, she can be sued for trespassing. Perhaps a cease and desist letter stating that one will sue if she does this again?
Also, one can get a restraining order against her independent of the above if she is doing this to harass - see here.
So this is actionable on those three levels.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.