Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Is the Title company specialized in Coop (Maryland)able to

Customer Question

Is the Title company specialized in Coop (Maryland)able to take care of the settling proceedings if I have a judgement against me, from private firm that actually has not threatened me or acted upon collection?
What could prevent my son to buy my mortgage balance cash on a coop and get the title solely on his name ? I don't owe any money to the coop association. I don't owe any money to credit cards or student loan.I am unemployed and fighting a cancer. I am planning to file bankruptcy for the judgement, only debt I will have after mortgage off.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Do I understand your question correctly, that you have a co-op that you are going to be transferring, but it is being held up because of a judgment lien against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, not exactly. I have a judgement but so far I do not have a lien on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because it's a coop, laws or regulations are different: The title is hold by the Coop Housing Association and I am a "stock shareholder". But the bot***** *****ne is that the Title company I contacted to handle the settlement was not sure she could do it because of the judgement. She also encouraged me to consult a R.E or Bankruptcy attorney to see if they'll know if there is a debt collection or lien.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how your judgments attached to co-ops in Maryland. Most of judgments automatically become liens on real estate; however the co-op interest might be personal property in the form of a share of stock. Therefore, I'm not sure what the problem is that you were facing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, in other words, I can sell or transfer the title to my son, who will pay my mortgage off ? Please tell me if I do understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I get hold of this precious and indispensable information of knowing if my condo has a lien on it? Is the Title company able or does it have the power to prevent the transfer/sell if there is no lien on it but is aware of the judgment since I disclosed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you got the blind leading the blind here :-). If it were real estate I would know exactly what to tell you, but, as you said, co-op shares are different. The title company person should know the exact answer to that question. You should ask for a supervisor there. Then to confirm what you are told, contact a local attorney who is more familiar with how Maryland's judgment lien statute affects a coop share, if it does. The title company usually will not pay any lien unless the seller authorizes them to do so. Nor will they hold up a sale if a general judgment does not constitute a lien on the title. I hope this is helpful and not more confusing than the information you've already been given.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your very good advice and information. Thank you again!!!
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JUST ANSWER. I can't stress too much having a local attorney review what you are doing .
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again. Do you have any further questions? If not, then you now know the legal issues that are involved. I hope that you will take the time to enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.