Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have lived on this property years. It was willed to

Customer Question

I have lived on this property for 7 years. It was willed to my late husband by his grandfather but his parents put it in their name because he was a child. He had asked several times for it to be put in his name but his father wouldn't sign over the land. My husband has been dead for two years now. His father has been letting me and his granddaughter stay and hasn't asked for rent. Now he is giving me until the First of September to move my family and the mobile home I live in. Shouldn't it be my late husbands property if it was willed to him, what can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Yes, you may have a viable claim. However, so much time has passed that it may have extinguished due to the statute of limitations.
When there are competing title claims to a property either party may submit it to the local court to decide in a quiet title action. It may be worth an initial meeting with local counsel to examine that option.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.