CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

Can I sue the apartment complex where I use to live. A fire

Customer Question

Can I sue the apartment complex where I use to live. A fire started in the utility unit next to my apartment and if we had not smelled the smoke the entire building would have burned. The smoke detectors did not go off, sprinklers did not go off nor fire alarm in the building. Can you recommend a lawyer that I can speak with? Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
If you lost any property due to the fire, yes you can. (You need to show "damages" in order to have a viable cause of action, but the fire in the space controlled by the landlord is going to make them liable for any damage caused by the fire, in addition to the failure of the necessary fire suppression system).I would recommend trying to find a civil litigation attorney to represent you in this action (a solo practitioner or a small firm would be ideal for this type of matter). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).