Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We live in a mobile home park where we pay monthly amenity

Customer Question

We live in a mobile home park where we pay monthly amenity and land lot rent fees, Our landlord also charges us an extra month of fees(in other words we pay 13 months of lot rent and amenities). He charges us this extra amount so that he can pay HIS land taxes for the land that his tenants don't even own. If you don't pay this amount, you are automatically evicted from the park. Our lot rent and amenities are already $800 per month. Other than a pool, basketball court, and a very small exercise room, those are the amenities. We have no parties at the club house or any other activities. Is what our landlord doing by charging us extra legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Can you tell me what state this is in?
.
Does the landlord just divide up the 13th payment and add it into the other 12, making it essentially just a rent increase?
.
Or is there an actual 13th separate payment you pay each year?
.
Was this additional cost part of a signed lease?
.
.
thanks