RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Landlord provided 30 day notice to terminate lease without

Customer Question

Landlord provided 30 day notice to terminate lease without cause in Juneau Alaska. Stating his son needed place to stay in 30 days and then wanted to complete some repairs never mentioned.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
I certainly understand the situation and your concern You shared that there is a lease, so I assume you do not rent month to month? Also, is there a clause in the lease which allows for termination with 30 days notice by either party?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reviewing lease right now I will respond shortly with answers to your questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes lease is month to month does not specify notice by either party. 30 day notice not included in rental agreement
Sorry for the delay, as it appeared that you had signed off. With a month to month lease, either the landlord or tenant can end it, if they provide at least 30 days written notice, to the other party. Good cause or a valid reason does not need to be given to end a month to month lease and the landlord can do it, as long as he/she is not discriminating against the tenant. Had your lease been for a specific period of time, then the landlord could not just terminate it and end it, unless you were in breach or agreed to vacate. In this case, if he wants his son to move in and work on the home, he is doing nothing illegal by giving you the 30 day notice to move out, since this is a month to month lease and within his right, just like yours, if you wanted to move. I know it is not what you were hoping to hear but I need to be upfront and honest even though it puts you in a tough spot with finding a new place, this time of the year
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.