Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

In Texas, I am a codo home owner in a 8 story condo, Their

Customer Question

In Texas, I am a codo home owner in a 8 story condo, Their are security cameras in the common area lobby and outside the bldg. We have an owner that is currently leasing a unit and there has been some complaints on the lessee. HOA directors have placed a camera in hallway common area pointing at that unit. Is that legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question. Yes it is generally legal, since HOA has authority to place video surveillance cameras anywhere in the common element (except for places where expectation of privacy, such as common bathrooms or showers) and such camera can point in any direction or at any unit, but not into the windows of the unit. I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions and if not, please positively rate my answer, so I can receive credit for my work.
Thank you.