How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 25946
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A neighbor reached over the fence, cut a tree standing in my

Customer Question

A neighbor reached over the fence, cut a tree standing in my yard and pushed the top half of the tree in my yard (approx. 15 yards of the tree is on the ground). Can I sue the neighbor for removal of the entire tree (standing and on the ground). How would I go about doing that and do I need an attorney?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The neighbor has no legal right to reach over or go onto your property to cut a tree. If he did, then he would be liable for the damages suffered. Before you sue, you need to determine the cost of the removal ( if the tree can not be saved) and the cost to replace it. You can make a demand for him to pay and if he does not, then file suit. If the total amount of damages is less then $3000, you can file in small claims court and handle this on your own and obtain the forms from the clerk of court. You would not need an attorney.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions