Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Semi-detached house affected by the other attached abandoned

Customer Question

Semi-detached house affected by the other attached abandoned house
Hi, I own a house which is a semi-detached house. Recently the house attached to us was on fire, the roof and the second floor of that house was damaged. The fire department came, put down the fire and broke four of my windows and destroyed my attic, but fortunately my roof is still intact.
Besides of all that damages of my house, no one could find the owner of the house next door. As a result, no one will fix the house which has a big whole on its roof and a destroyed second floor. We could only find the owner‘s name and that was it. The people was living there before does not know who is the owner neither, which is very strange.
Right now the other house is in horrible condition: garbage everywhere and has smell comes out. Which indeed affect my house. I feel very uncomfortable living in my house because the condition of the house next door and it is attached to my house.
What could I do to make a compliant, to whom? Or I have heard I could make a “ Lean” of the house?
Thanks a lot for your professional advices.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you were a victim of your neighbor's fire. If I may ask, what did you try to do as a means of finding the owner? How long did the occupants reside on premises?