Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  real estate law
10707909

I want to find out if I can have my neighbor pay for

Customer Question

I want to find out if I can have my neighbor pay for surveillance cameras that I want to install facing her property because she has tampered with the property on several instances. Is there any way the court can have her pay for it since I am only installing
the cameras because of her?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardPlease explain "tampered with" the property.Also, has she been criminally charged with anything? How much will the cameras cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw my neighbor clogging one of our sewage pipes and as a result our basement floods since. When I confronted her she apologized and said please don't go to the police I was just really mad at you. I have the entire conversation recorded. It also happened 3 years ago. She hasn't been criminally charged with anything because I did not go to the police. The cameras would be around $4000.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you. I suggest, that you can file a small claims lawsuit to have her pay for the surveillance cameras. I suggest that you first write her a letter and tell her what you are doing and why and request she pay for them or you will file a small claims lawsuit and then everyone will know what she did because it will be discussed in open court. Mail the letter certified with a return receipt requested. If she does not agree to pay and you two cannot come to an agreement on what she should pay, then file the small claims lawsuit. You can do that on your own, by getting those forms from the clerk of the court in the county where you live
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought it to her attention already and she said she will not pay a penny.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the court order her to pay the $4000 for the cameras?
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
It's possible. They might order her to pay half. I suggest you need to prove that she did the damage by her actions; which may be your word against hers at this point since it was never reported.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
If you put it in writing as I suggested, then you can also ask the court to have her pay any of your legal costs associated with filing the claim since you tried to settle it out of court. And you are also mentioning the damage she did. So that can act as some legitimacy to your claim that she caused the damage. She might admit to it in writing in a reply