Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Is there any way the state can force a home owner to tear down

Customer Question

Is there any way the state can force a home owner to tear down a house when there isn't any zoning in place to prevent danger to neighbors and people in general? This house is one block off of a state lake. It is infested with wild life. The walls of the basement have fallen in on both sides. The building is being held up by cross tie timbers. The house is a danger to any one close to it. There is an electrical line hooked to it that is live that could cause electrical harm or even a fire to the house and to my home. My home is very close to this house. The house has been vacant for 25+ years. Insulation is being blown into my yard and the street. The squirrels carry it out.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. Was this issue reported tot he local code inspector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no zoning but I do not know about codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if the Township Trustees or Fire Chief did. We have not. Don't know where to go to report to code inspector. This is Columbiana County, Hanover Township. We do not have to get building permits. All I know that is required is an electrical inspection for new service as a private person.
Thank you for your follow up.Was this issue report to the fire chief or fire inspector?