WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

Yesterday I asked this question -- DC law states in a month

Customer Question

Yesterday I asked this question -- DC law states in a month to month rental situation, tenants are required to give a 30-day notice to vacate. But these tenants went month-to-month after their lease expired (they had signed a one year lease two years in
a row). The lease states they have to give a 45-day notice to vacate. My question is... which supercedes that other... the 45 day obligation of the signed lease or the 30-day obligation of DC law... which I think just says at least 30 days. Many attorneys
responded saying that the terms of the lease takes precedence. Now my tenants are planning to take legal action against me, even though they breached the lease and caused me great financial hardship. Are there any real estate lawyers who would like to handle
this case registered in DC. From the answers I received yesterday, I have the law on my side. Please let me know if any of you who can practice in DC would like to help me with this. These people are jut trying to rip me off!! Thank you, ***** ***** any help
or referrals you can give me.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.
I am unavailable this evening. I will open up your question to the other attorneys on the site.
Thank you for using JA!
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
The lease will take precedence. I am licensed as a real estate attorney in DC and will be happy to handle your case as needed. Best wishes.