Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am a condo owner in NH who is renting their unit out for

Customer Question

I am a condo owner in NH who is renting their unit out for the Summer. I just received notice from the condo association that some units in the building adjacent to mine have been made uninhabitable due to a ROT/PAINT construction project. The project will soon be upon my building. My question is 1) Is the condo association required to give a certain amount of notice before deeming a unit uninhabitable requiring a tenet to vacate. 2) Can a condo association or the board be forced to pay for relocation expenses if a unit is deemed uninhabitable during construction. 3) What are my legal rights in this instance?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
1. The statutes do not address amount of notice required. It would need to be contained in the bylaws, if at all.
2. If the association can be shown to be in breach or to have been negligent, and that is the proximate cause of damage requiring repair, then the association would be liable and would owe damages to the displaced residents.
3. The legal rights and obligations are dictated by the bylaws and, as for the tenant, the lease.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You may want to contact the association insurance carrier to make a claim.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service?