Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am 68nyears old and may get evicted issues which

Customer Question

I am 68nyears old and may get evicted for cleaning issues which I have corrected. I am 68 years old and haved both a physical and a mental disability. do I hve any protections under the law and what about "good cause"
r. Coniglio
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have a written lease for a term or are you a month to month tenant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a year to year lease
Thank you for your reply.
If you have a yearly lease, then they have to give you notice of a breach and a reasonable time to cure the breach. If you have cured the breach, they have no legal basis for eviction as they have to prove you are still in breach of the lease, which they cannot do based on you cleaning up as you stated you did.
As a disabled person, your rights are only to a reasonable accommodation in housing, but they do not protect you from being liable for breach of the lease. So your best case in defending against the eviction is the fact that the claims that you breached the lease are no longer valid because you cured them and as such they no longer have good cause for eviction.
As you are disabled, if you cannot afford an attorney to defend yourself against the improper eviction, you can get legal representation from legal aid or the local senior citizen center (most have attorneys who volunteer at low cost or no cost for seniors). However, based on your assertion that you cured any breach, that is your defense to any such eviction efforts.