Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My husband came home from work today and informed me that his

Customer Question

My husband came home from work today and informed me that his ex wife requested a copy of their divorce decree. First, she received one when they were divorced nine years ago, which leads me to believe she is completely disorganized. She told my husband she had found a home she wanted to buy and either the real estate agent or the bank told her she would need it toward part of the purchase of the home. She foreclosed on a home close to six years ago, so this is all so very baffling to me. What is the purpose of her obtaining their divorce decree?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Is she being paid spousal support?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spousal support. No child support. All of our children are grown. I just don't understand why she needs to provide a copy of their divorce decree.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Does your husband have debt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dept, but that would not effect her situation. He is married to me.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand he is married to you.Do they own any property together still? Any pension issues included in the decree?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir, none of the above. They just have a son together who is now an adult. No property or pension.mentioned in the decree.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Then there is no reason she would need the decree to buy a new property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And considering she foreclosed on a home about six years ago, I do not see how she would be able to purchase a home anyway. Personally, I believe she trying to make waves. I really thought that is what you were going to say. Would the State of North Carolina have anything bearing on it?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I am not seeing any waves for her to make if they have no further financial obligations between them.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?