Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Rogers County, Oklahoma VVEC electric coop want to cut down

Customer Question

Rogers County, Oklahoma VVEC electric coop want to cut down all but our ornamental trees under the power line. They have trimed them 10' below the line previously which would be our choice. What are their legal rights? Legally can we stop them from cutting out all the other trees from under the power lines?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
The answer to your question depends on what the right of way document says. If it says that the utility has the right to keep the trees off of the right of way, then it likely has this right.....but if the right of way just allows the utility to keep branches and limbs a certain distance from the land, then that's another thing.
Thus, you'll just have to see what the right of way document says and then take it from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the power company have to provide me with that document?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the power company have to provide me with documentation that they have the right of way if I ask for it?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
No, not if the right of way document is recorded....which it should be. It should be on file at the county courthouse, so you can obtain it there.
But, the Utility certainly could give you a copy if it chose to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I'd like to work with an expert from Oklahoma. Thank you.