Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

My real estate company sends bid amounts to a Virtual

Customer Question

My real estate company sends bid amounts to a Virtual Assistant in the Philippines who manually enters the bids (approximately 2,000 bids a week for me and the other Realtors in the others states in which we do business). Concern: The VA's have been provided
with my HUD Home Store login and password ***** enter bids on my behalf. Could I get in trouble for giving out that info? I think (though I could be wrong) that a real estate firm has the right to hire VA's to work on their behalf. So in the event of an audit,
in essence, it would be discovered that I've given my access to HUD Home Store. Also, is entering bids a task for which you must be a licensed real estate agent? Or is that a ministerial act that can be performed by any office help?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
The VA here works under your direction to submit bids that you have authorized.This appears to be an administrative function which you have authorized them to do on your behalf.Giving them your information and authorization is an assumption of risk on your part.
The terms of service appear to prohibit this so asking here is a good idea.Honestly it does not appear that you are allowed to share this information with others.
Terms of service.
Your Account may not be assigned, sublicensed, transferred, or shared with any other individual or entity, and you expressly agree not to provide any other entity your password ***** otherwise allow them to use or access your Account. You agree to notify HUDHomestore.com of any known or suspected unauthorized use(s) of your Account, or any known or suspected breach of security, including loss, theft, or unauthorized disclosure of your password. You shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password. It is your sole responsibility to protect your user name and password ***** not share your password ***** any other people. Accordingly, you understand and agree that you shall be liable for any activity performed by any people using the Site under your user name and password.
It is worth asking here as it appears administrative but a concurrence is the safe play if you want to make sure they agree.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again let me know if you got this, here I revised my answer after further research.
Complete terms of service for you.
https://www.hudhomestore.com/Listing/BidderRegistration.aspx?sLanguage=ENGLISH
I would want clearance from them , otherwise the risk is they take away your privileges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So using a VA is prohibited for bid entering? Could I get my license revoked for that?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
No the problem is with HUD here that's their terms of service.I don't think the real estate would have a problem with it because you are responsible for the VA and have authorized them to do it.But here it is your right to use the service that is at risk.
I understand why you are doing this but there is some risk to it.It is unlikely HUD would find out but it does appear to violate their terms of service.Why not write them or email them and see about adding this person as an authorized user then you are ok.
Contact number..
1(###) ###-####
United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, Customer service
Thanks for the follow up.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.Thanks again.