Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I own a condo in a building that is heated with central heat.

Customer Question

I own a condo in a building that is heated with central heat. The cost of the heat is included in my HOA. Unfotunately we have a building manager/owner who turms the central heat off and on as he sees fit. There are no owner agreed upon paramenters with regard to the weather, no notice with regard when and why the shut off occurs, and most importantly there is nothing in writing from the association giving the manager permission to turn off heat to 116 privately owned homes! How do I stop this from happening?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there.
-
Can I ask you a few questions?
-
1. Does this happen during times of extreme cold where the local inspectional services department would be interested because it is illegal to shut off and deny heat when the weather is cold ? (anything below 40-50 degrees F outside is generally something that the local authorities will look into if the heat is turned off during such periods).
-
2. Does the condo association have an elected board of directors or managers who then, in turn, hire this management company?
-
MARY