Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

When two people are on the title piece of real estate,

Customer Question

When two people are on the title for a piece of real estate, can one of the parties force the other party to either buy them out or let them buy them out or relinquish their interest in the real estate?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help you.
Yes. Such legal action is called "partition" any any joint owner can request for the joint owner to buyout the other owner's interest of to sell the property and if the other owner denies the request, then the joint owner who wants to sell his interest / share in the real estate property can file a partition lawsuit and the court will review the case and if the other joint owner does not want to buy out the other owner's interest in the property a sale would be ordered by the court and proceeds of the sale would be split among joint owners.
I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.