Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Doug. You were very helpful in my answering my last

Customer Question

Hi, Doug. You were very helpful in my answering my last question, so I would like to ask you another. My family will be looking for a new apartment in the Los Angeles area. We have an officially registered service dog (50+ lbs) with all of the appropriate
papers. As I understand, the American Disabilities Act prohibits any landlord to prevent a potential tenant from renting an apartment based solely on their ownership of a service animal. With an increasing number of landlords prohibiting dogs, and many people
claiming to have service dogs without actually having them trained, it has become harder to rent an apartment with a dog, service animal or not. I want to do the right thing and notify new landlords upon application that we have a registered service animal.
However, some landlords frown upon the presence of a dog regardless of their purpose. I have never been turned down for a rental, my credit history has always been solid, nor have I ever been a problem tenant. How can we go about appropriately presenting the
fact that we have a service dog, and preventing a landlord from rejecting our application?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
Thanks for asking for me.
However, I am unable to assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.
Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.
I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.
Doug