CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

The home built 1947 full basement, downstairs bedrooms finish

Customer Question

The home built 1947 full basement, downstairs bedrooms finish and egress windows,
low ceilings bathroom finish , completed before 1993 by prior home owner. There was
no permit done. I lived in house 13 years then rented. Now Iam selling and the city
gets involved not to code. what course of action. They want walls tore down, this
isnt fair. I have comply with all the plumbing code and passed.
Robert Duell
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately, the building code rules are not flexible. The best solution I can suggest to you, short of complying with the code compliance, is to retain a local property law attorney and applying for a variance - I cannot promise that such a variance would be approved (these are discretionary and they depend heavily on who is in charge - so you really will want an attorney with experience working with these agencies and familiarity with the individuals - as well as experience in drafting and presenting your administrative application for a variance, and guiding it through this process (it is a multi-step process, involving review by multiple individuals and panels boards, with strict deadlines, so having a lawyer is to your benefit)).
You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).