RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I rented a Washington unit while living out of state. I had

Customer Question

I rented a Washington unit while living out of state. I had requested an 18 month lease..front page of lease says 12 months.. apparently signed (online)
Date was made to be 16 months. This was nit noticed. Now due to health finding I must move. I have stayed the year but apparently back page on lease says it will not be up until January 2015
Greystar requesting 2 months rent plus the one month I received of free rent initially. So a total of three months to move out.if I pay what if landlord rents unit within the 3 months I paid. Are they allowed to collect from both me and new tenant? Do I qualify for any part to be refunded?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. The rent which they are requesting now, is a penalty, to be released and allowed to walk away, without any additional liability. Paying this, would allow them to try and find a new tenant, who may take possession prior to the 3 months running out. Of course, they also take a chance that the rental would remain vacant for more then the 3 months and loss money on it. The 2 month penalty to break the lease is common and not unreasonable. If you think that this rental is in high demand, you can try and find someone to sublease it, assuming that is allowed or if you bring a tenant to them, who is ready willing and able to lease, they may allow them to move in and terminate your lease, if there are no other units. If the 1 month free rent was an incentive to lease, you would have to pay that back, along with the 2 other months. If not and you just leave, they have to mitigate damages and try and find a new tenant and could then sue for damages.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!