Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Can a home owner do construction / electrical work without a

Customer Question

can a home owner do construction / electrical work without a permit
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
What city and state is the homeowner in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dimondale, michigan... eaton county
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
A homeowner can do construction without a LICENSE on his own property. He may not sell the property for at least 365 days after doing unlicensed work on it.
A license and permit are different, though. A license authorizes an individual to do work on buildings. A permit allows specific work to be done on a given property. A homeowner DOES not a permit to do construction on his own home.
Permits aren't required if he was doing ordinary repairs, but anything that has to do with electrical work is, by definition, not considered an ordinary repair. Neither is anything that requires cutting into or moving walls, which you essentially have to do in order to do electrical work in most cases. Here is more information on what is considered ordinary repairs that wouldn't need a permit:
http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_10575_17394_17412-42951--,00.html
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you! One final follow up if you don't mind (I'm sorry).. you mention he couldn't sell if work was done within 365 days.Right before the sale, we had an inspection that i paid for and he did electrical work right after that in order to pass the FHA inspection. I though he'd "had' it done, but apparently not. My GFCIs are not grounded and in order to replace a Breaker Panel Cover (which he said was no big deal, he had just "had some upgrades done" and he knew right where it was).. he screwed a piece of wood over it... It was way less than 365 days.. it was like 14 days... i called the county. there hasn't been a permit pulled on this house since 1989. And he left me pictures... they completely remodeled it. running plumbing backwards and incorrectly, using lamp cord for electrical, leaving all outlets un-ground and overloading circuits...im so upset....
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
That's illegal. He needed a permit to have the work done, and if he didn't get it, you can sue him for the cost of having someone else do the work properly.