Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My tenant renewed his lease through his lawyer and I don't

Customer Question

My tenant renewed his lease through his lawyer and I don't have an actual physical lease with him but his lawyer specified through his email that his client was renewing for another year with specific date.
My tenant committed suicide in my garage, I have a clause in the first year lease saying that if death of the tenant occurs the lease will continue with the heirs, now the heirs his daughter told me she would pay and then her husband took over the will and told me that they will give me one month notice because I have no lease for the renewal.
The house was rented completely furnished some item such as the tv broken, and a few items are missing.
Can I still collect the lease and be paid for lost and damages, the lease is $3500 a month plus utilities.
thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Does the original lease specify that email is an effective notice method?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't think so
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Unfortunately, without a written and signed renewal the tenancy was month to month and you are entitled to the rent for the statutory notice period (usually one month) required to terminate a month to month tenancy.
Additionally, you have the right to sue the estate for any excessive damage or unpaid rent.
I hope this is helpful.  If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them.  It is never a problem.
Thank you.